When Is Hospice Appropriate?
Signs that you or a loved one may need to consider hospice care can be subtle, but they may include:
- Multiple trips to the emergency room in a short period of time
- Shortness of breath while resting
- Several falls over a six-month period
- Increasing issues with pain
- Weight loss with a noticeable difference in the way clothes fit
- Spending most of the day in a chair or bed
These signs don't necessarily mean you need hospice immediately. But they are indications that now is a good time to find out about hospice care and that you should ask your doctor about it. Learning how hospice can provide the care, compassion, and support you and your family needs can be a comfort to everyone.